CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Bugs

Ok, so Friday night, Kyle and I went up to Coastal Carolina University to see a play. He's taking this theater class and he is required to have so many hours at the shows, so I've been going with him every once in a while. This particular play, Bugs, was supposed to be a little weird, but I figured that it would be an adventure if nothing else. Unfortunately, the word "adventure" can't accurately describe our little experience. It was more of an "episode."

So Kyle and I walk into the Blackbox Theater (a small, completely black room with a platform that has three rows of seats and a stage that's way too close for comfort). At my suggestion, we sat as far away from the stage as we possibly could (which was still all too close in my opinion). Kyle looked around and said, "Wow, Jessica...this is looking a little sketchy." The set was a dumpy, run down and falling apart motel room, and there was really random music playing in the background. Well, Kyle opens up the program and says "Uh-oh...." In big, bold letters at the bottom of the page it said:

*CAUTION*
Adult content, Smoking, Nutdity, Language, Violence, Simulated drug and alchohol abuse, Intense Lighting Effects, biting, kicking, screaming, and a whole lotta "God Bless the USA."

WHOA!! I had heard that this play was a little out there, but I did not know what I was getting myself in to. Needless to say, the whole story was completley messed up and twisted....definately something to put on another blog entry when I'm not as scarred as I am now. All I can say, is Thank God we were sitting in the back row!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on now, it's pretty bad when i have to comment on my own blogs!! Actually I was hoping that one of y'all would see that someone had commented on my entry and be encouraged to do so yourself. I'm really starting to like the whole blogging scene and I'm getting excited, so don't let me down!! Send me a comment. Haha!!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

OK...so here is your comment...hehe. (I seriously contemplated just leaving that but thought it was too mean.)

As far as the play goes, it was probably a realistic representation of life for some people so in that respect it may have been good for you to have seen it. You can be thankful that your life is as normal as it is and in turn, you can pray for those whose lives are controled by substance abuse! Just look at the positive side of it.

love ya toots!
kristin

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica,
I won't let you down. I must ask why you didn't leave. I think I would have asked for my money back and left. Were you even allowed to be there being under 18?

Kristin, I'm surprised to see you so open to this after you complained so much about "Rent" Anyway, Heather wasn't allowed to watch "Dirty Dancing" but Jessica is allowed to see dirty plays. Just kidding. I found an even cheaper ticket for Thanksgiving. let me know if I can go ahead with the deal.

Thanks,
Amy

hr said...

Interesting debate here. I think its good to ask the questions, "Did I dislike it because it was bad? Or because it made me uncomfortable?" Then, did the feeling of discomfort help you to learn something? There is a definite distinction between uncomfortable-gross and uncomfortable-thinking in a new way. The teacher in me coming out I guess... There are definitely things I teach that make kids uncomfortable, but sometimes that's where the most learning takes place. There's even a name for it, "Disrupting the Commonplace" You can read all about it when my chapter is finally published. :-)